WHY KIDS LOVE CYT....
Serving Houston communities such as:
- Houston, Texas
- Spring, Texas
- The Woodlands, Texas
- Conroe, Texas
- Montgomery, Texas
- Tomball, Texas
- Magnolia, Texas
- Cypress, Texas
- Jersey Village, Texas
- Surrounding Areas: Willis, Texas, Waller, Texas, Plantersville, Texas, Huntsville, Texas
Christian Youth Theater of Houston stands in the forefront in its commitment to the highest ethical, moral, technical and artistic standards of theater arts excellence. Instructors are professionals, qualified in teaching and/or performing, who must understand our mission statement, values, objectives and goals. The staff of Christian Youth Theater Houston strive to be excellent role models in children's musical theater arts.
Every session (fall, winter and spring) CYT offers youth theater arts classes for children as an after-school activity. Each CYT across the country conducts three independent nine week children's theater art sessions followed by a free showcase on the 10th week for families and friends. Drama, voice, dance and a broad spectrum of specialty children's theatrical workshops are offered at the weekly two-hour classes. Financial assistance or partial children's scholarships are available for those in need. Children's sibling discounts for all youth theater classes and theater camps are available to families with multiple children. Enrolled theater students have the opportunity to work behind the scenes at the theater, or kids can audition and perform on stage in a Broadway-style musicals performed for the community,
CYT offers three kids theater arts sessions around the Houston area during the school year (fall, winter and spring). Each theater arts session consists of nine weeks of two hour classes, plus a high-energy "SHOWCASE" performed by each class for the other students as well as family and friends. Children ages 4-18 may select up to two theater classes per session. The cost for a session is currently $185 per student. A sibling/multiple registration discount is offered (second child $175, third child $165)
A wide variety of classes are offered (core classes in drama, voice, and dance, plus specialty classes which vary from session to session). CYT Houston offers small classes (usually 12-14 students) with adequate supervision both inside the classroom (teacher) and outside the classroom (CYT area coordinator).
Classes currently meet in four areas.
1. In Conroe/Montgomery: Mondays (4:45 - 6:35pm and 6:45 - 8:35 pm) at First Christian Church.
2. In Spring: Thursdays: (4:45 - 6:35pm and 6:50 - 8:40 pm) at the CYT Campus.
3. In Tomball/Magnolia: Mondays (4:45-6:35pm and 6:45-8:35pm) at Salem.
4. In Kingwood: Tuesdays (5:00-7:00 pm) at Christ the King Lutheran Church.
Each youth theater area produces one Broadway-style musical for the Houston communities each session.
Upcoming musicals for the 2012/2013 season are:
Conroe/Montgomery: The Music Man Jr.
Spring/Woodlands: Les Misérables (School Edition)
Tomball/Magnolia/Cypress: Annie Jr
Enrollment in class provides students (ages 8-18) the opportunity to audition for the current production. Approximately 85 students are cast in each CYT Houston production. A $150 per child production fee covers miscellaneous production-related expenses. Other expenses may include a makeup kit, shoes, under garments and other personal items. These additional expense items are based on that show's needs.
Students under the age of 8 or those not cast in the show are encouraged to participate in the production in other ways. Depending on age and ability, students (and siblings) can participate on the backstage crew, technical team, or the costume and make-up committees. Students may also choose to work at the concession or souvenir tables, or help usher.
CYT is a family oriented organization dedicated to providing entertaining activities which can involve the entire family. As such, at least one parent of each student cast in the production must serve on both a pre-show and a show-week Production Committee. Without the support of parents, CYT could not produce high-quality community shows. Parents are the backbone of CYT!
• To make the arts as accessible to children as sports or scouting programs throughout the entire country.
• To serve as a training ground for future generations in the performing arts.
• To develop character traits and abilities in individuals including commitment, discipline, self-esteem, confidence and integrity.
• To sustain the family unit through the direct involvement of each family members' talents, interests and abilities.
• To provide a quality product without compromising a wholesome environment.
• To place the maximum worth on people and treating each individual with respect and significance.